About The Tutorial
This tutorial will guide you through the steps to formating and copying over the UBCD to your USB drive with the program RMPrepUSB. This guide does not contain help on modifying any of the extracted content; if you are looking for a specific guide that is not available here, please check the UBCD forums for more help and information. It is highly recommended that after completing this tutorial that you test the USB flash drive by booting your computer from it. The good news is that if it doesn't work the first time you can easily just edit/update files and try again unlike a cd/dvd where it is permanent. Makes adding more programs just as easy.
WARNING: If you skip requirements, you do so at your own risk, as you may encounter issues that will be traced back to not being prepared.
Before we jump into the guide, you will need the following:
- 1. The UBCD ISO, ofcourse. Download it here if you haven't already. For this tutorial I will be using version 5.0 Final, seeing as it has more fixes and is up-to-date.
- 2. RMPrepUSB program (Freeware - for private use only). The version I will be using is v2.0.737. Never-the-less, you should download the latest version of it Here. To download, you will need a username and password. I suggest using www.bugmenot.com if you do not want to register, though we HIGHTLY recommend you do register. I have already extracted it to the same folder as the extracted UBCD ISO.
- 3. At least a 512MB USB Flash Memory Drive. These and larger sizes can be picked up for relatively cheap just about anywhere. If you are going to be adding more programs to it, always make sure you have extra space.
After checking that you have met all requirements we can proceed with the tutorial.
There is also a YouTube video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX6BHnefIms
Let Us Begin!
1. RMPrepUSB extracted in the same folder as the extracted UBCD ISO (ubcd-extract).
2. Going into the RMPrepUSB extracted folder you will find several items. The program you want to run is "RMPrepUSB"(.exe). Note: In Vista/7 you will have to run this program as Administrator.
3. The program should open and look something similar to this.
4. At this point I recommend you "Clean" the drive using the red Clean button near the bottom right side of the program. It will overwrite the MBR with 0's on the drive and could prevent errors from occurring during the next steps. You may skip this step tho, if you so chose, but if you get an error in the next step, then you may have to Clean it anyways. You will receive a prompt confirming whether you want to format or not, choose "OK" to continue, or "Cancel" to cancel.
5a. The program has been convenient numbered. All you really need to do is follow the numbers in order, but I would like to describe the items for you in order:
- 1. Size - You may chose to shrink the size (Default is Max Size)
- 2. Volume Label - You may chose a name for your drive so you can distinguish one drive from another. Note 1: Max Characters for a windows drive is 11, anything after will be trimmed to 11. Note 2: The Label MAY NOT contain the following
\/:*?"<>|as these are invalid characters in any windows file/folder/drive name (not sure what will happen if you try, most likely error with windows). [unfortunately these restrictions haven't been added to the program at the time of this writing v2.0.737]
- 3. BOOT Options - Allows you to choose several ways to boot the drive depending on your need and configurations.
- 4. Filesystem and Overrides - Formatting options with several advanced features.
- 5. Location to folder you would like contents to be copied.
- 6. Prepare Drive - Starts the process of formating and copying files.
5b. The settings I will be using on an unmodified version of UBCD v5.0 are (See image):
- 1. Size = MAX
- 2. Volume Label = UBCDv5
- 3. BOOT Options = SYSLINUX Bootable
- 4. FAT32 - Boot as HDD (2PTNS)
- 5. Check the box. Location: C:\Users\StopSpazzing\My Documents\ubcd-extract
Note: Step 5 location will be different on XP compared to Vista/7. Change according to your extraction location.
6. After you have selected the correct boxes, you may proceed and select the last step of 6 (see above image).
6a.The program will immediately ask you if you are sure you would like to use the selected parameters we have selected. Clicking "OK" will continue and "Cancel" will halt the process.