Tutorials:Integrating Slax Live CD
Slax is a freely available, modular Linux distribution. That is, you can add and remove functions by adding or deleting modules or even disable some at boot time via boot parameters. The website allows you to choose modules and download a ready customised ISO with everything you've asked for, so you don't even have to fiddle with command-line interfaces before you can use the system! This tutorial is for Windows users. Mac and Linux users will need to modify certain instructions per their system's architecture and capabilities.
- Secondly, download a customised or standard Slax ISO. The name of the ISO does not matter particularly, but for the purposes of this tutorial I have simply used "slax_ubcd.iso".
It appears that the same method works for both CD/DVD and USB media, whereas Isolinux usually caters for CD/DVD and Syslinux for USB - HOWEVER I do not have the means to test USB support.
1. Extract your Slax ISO to C:\slax-extract and move the "boot" folder into the "slax" folder.
2. Copy C:\slax-extract\slax to C:\UBCD.
2. Add the following to C:\UBCD\ubcd\custom\custom.cfg - note the .cfg extension:
- LABEL -
- MENU LABEL Slax LiveCD
- TEXT HELP
- This option will boot into a pre-configured Slax Distribution.
- COM32 /slax/boot/vesamenu.c32
- APPEND /slax/boot/slax.cfg
3. Open C:\UBCD\slax\boot\slax.cfg and add "/slax" to the beginning of EVERY directory listing. Seriously, every single one. Otherwise things will go wrong.
4. In the same file, delete ALL occurrences of "changes=/slax/" - seeing as you're booting from CD, saving changes isn't exactly possible.
5. Remaster the UBCD ISO as per these instructions.
6. Slax is now accessible from the "User-defined" entry of the UBCD boot menu.
Personally, I prefer Grub4Dos but I decided to do it last as it is not the default menu system of UBCD.
1. Place your Slax ISO into UBCD's custom folder, so it should be something like C:\UBCD\ubcd\custom\slax_ubcd.iso).
2. Add the following to C:\UBCD\ubcd\custom\custom.lst - note the .lst extension:
- title Slax\n Slax Core 6.1.2
- map /ubcd/custom/slax_ubcd.iso (0xff) || map --mem /ubcd/custom/slax_ubcd.iso (0xff)
- map --hook
- root (0xff)
- kernel /boot/vmlinuz from=/ubcd/custom/slax_ubcd.iso vga=792 nosound ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw autoexec=xconf;telinit~4
- initrd /boot/initrd.gz
3. Remaster the UBCD ISO as per these instructions.
4. When booting, choose the final option of UBCD's initial boot menu, then go to the User-defined section of this screen, and then you will see the Slax entry. It will not appear under User-defined of the initial menu.