Difference between revisions of "Parted Magic"
m (→Updating Parted Magic on UBCD)
|Line 27:||Line 27:|
3a. Copy the first 2 files
3a. Copy the first 2 files (''bzImage'', ''initramfs'') :
Revision as of 22:18, 7 November 2010
The Parted Magic OS employs core programs of GParted and Parted to handle partitioning tasks with ease, while featuring other useful programs (e.g. Clonezilla, Partimage, TestDisk, Truecrypt, G4L, SuperGrubDisk, ddrescue, etc...) and an excellent set of documentation to benefit the user. An extensive collection of file system tools are also included, as Parted Magic supports the following: ext2, ext3, ext4, fat16, fat32, hfs, hfs+, jfs, linux-swap, ntfs, reiserfs, reiser4, and xfs.
Parted Magic requires at least a i586 processor and 256MB of RAM to operate or 128MB in "Live" mode.
- Format internal and external hard drives.
- Move, copy, create, delete, expand & shrink hard drive partitions.
- Clone your hard drive, to create a full backup.
- Test hard drives for impending failure.
- Test memory for bad sectors.
- Benchmark your computer for a performance rating.
- Securely erase your entire hard drive, wiping it clean from all data.
- Gives access to non-booting systems allowing you to rescue important data.
- Runs from the CD, no install required.
More information regarding Parted Magic is located on the website.
Updating Parted Magic on UBCD
1. Assuming you have already extracted UBCD to "ubcd-extracted" and after downloading the latest version of Parted Magic, extracting the contents to the same folder as the "ubcd-extracted". If you need help extracting UBCD the Tutorial is located here.
2. Under the folder "parted-magic-extracted\pmagic\" there will be 2 files (bzImage, initramfs) and 1 folder /pmodules/ containing 1 file (pmagic-x.x.sqfs):
3a. Copy the first 2 files (bzImage, initramfs) , overwriting previous files, to:
3b. Then copy the 3rd file (pmagic-x.x.sqfs), making sure you manually delete the old pmagic-x.x.sqf file as will conflict with newer file, to:
4. You are finished! All you need to do is Remaster the ISO.